Contact Us

If you need us, please reach us!



What do I need to prepare when applying for a student visa?

Center for International Mobility (CIM) is the unit at International University to help international students and international scholars to obtain the visa pre-approval prior to their departure to Vietnam. International students and scholars need to provide CIM with all necessary documents at least 04 weeks prior to the expected day of their departure.

International students are obligated to provide CIM with the following information 4 weeks prior to the Date of Arrival in Vietnam:

  • Students’ contact information (Name, e-mail address and telephone number)
  • Accurate address of Vietnam Embassy or Vietnam General Consulate in students’ home country in which visa will be granted.
  • Scanned passport with at least 6 months validity
My parents (from a foreign country) are working in Vietnam so they applied a visiting visa for me. After my arrival, I am accepted to take a full time program at IU which lasts up to 04 years. Can I have IU support me to convert from visiting visa to student visa?

If you are on a different type of visa, you are required to leave Vietnam in order to apply for a student visa. After your departure, Center for International Mobility (CIM) at IU will support you with the visa application and pre-approval visa letter. As soon as the pre-approval letter sent by CIM arrives, you can come to Vietnam Embassy in your home-country or another country to have the visa stamped into your passport.

There is no Vietnamese government office in my country, what should I do to pick up my student visa?

In case there is no Vietnamese government office in your country, it is important to inform Center for International Mobility (CIM) at IU when submitting visa-related required documents so CIM can have the pre-approval visa letter sent to an airport in Vietnam where you can collect and pay for your student visa.

Is there any specific requirement about passport when I want to apply for a student visa?

There is no special requirement but your passport must be valid at least 06 months; otherwise, you need to have your passport renewed before applying for the student visa.

Can I travel to a foreign country and get back to Vietnam with a under 6 month - valid passport?

In this case, you need to have the passport renewed and the student visa stamped on the new passport; otherwise, your migration to Vietnam may be restricted.

What to submit when I want to extent my student visa?

International students who undertake study at IU will be supported by Center for International Mobility with their visa extension. Following are documents involved  

  • Application Form (N5) – Taken at CIM Office (Room A2.604)
  • Original passport with 6 months validity at least
  • Original Certificate of temporary residence in Vietnam (resident record)
  • IU Student Verification (Assisted by CIM)
  • One ID photo (4 x 6 size, white background)
  • Visa fee

Note: If you cannot get the Resident Record from your stay, you have to fill in a form Certification of Resident Record and have it certified and stamped by Local Authorities (normally People’s Committee of the place you live)

What will happen to overdue visas?

You need to extend your visa 04 weeks prior to its expiry date. 

If more than 03 days have elapsed since the visa expiry date, penalty fee may apply on late applications according to the current Immigration Department regulations. Students are obliged to pay this penalty fee at Vietnam State Treasury HCMC by themselves.

Can I apply the Vietnam student visa by myself?

It is advisory to contact Center for International Mobility (CIM) at IU, CIM will then be able to help you applying for your student visa (DH type visa). In case you want to apply for DH Visa on your own, CIM will not take any responsibility for any failures.

Can I enter with an on-arrival tourist visa and use it while studying in Vietnam?

Any prospective student seeking higher education in Vietnam must obtain a Student Visa (Type: DH). In case you enter Vietnam by an on-arrival tourist visa, it is required to leave Vietnam boundary to your home country or another country (for example: Cambodia or Singapore) as long as it does not cause you any inconvenience. Center for International Mobility at IU will then support you with the students visa application submission and pre-approval visa letter. As soon as the scanned pre-approval letter sent by CIM arrives, you can come to  the nearest Vietnam Embassy to have the visa stamped into your passport.

What is the exchange program tuition fees at IU ?

If students’ home university is not an IU partner, or if students are not selected for the exchange program, they can still apply for one or two semesters at IU through the Study Abroad program and pay as stated below

(*) IU Tuition Fee Policy:  

Number of Courses Number of Credits
(~3 credits/course)
Tuition Rate (USD) Total Amount (USD)
Minimum 4 12 82 984
Average 6 18 82 1,476
Maximum 8 24 82 1,968
What are entry requirements for exchange program at IU?

To be considered for the Student Exchange and Study Abroad Programs at IU, undergraduate and graduate applicants must:

  • Complete at least one year of full-time study (undergraduate level) or one semester of full-time study (graduate level)
  • Achieve GPA at least of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent
  • Have intention to receive full workload (no less than 12 credits per semester) for the duration of your study at IU
  • Have a letter of nomination from the home institution as required for exchange students
Do I need to obtain English certificates to apply for exchange program at IU?

No English proficiency assessment is required for students who live in an English-speaking country or study in a tertiary institution where the language of instruction is English.

If you are not from an English-speaking country or if the language of instruction at your institution is not English, one of the following requirements is applied:

  • IELTS minimum overall band score of 6.0 (no sub-score bellow 5.5);
  • TOEFL (iBT) minimum score of 61 (no sub-score bellow 19);
  • Unicert 1 (Cetified by German Academic Exchange Service – DAAD);
  • CEFR Level B1 (Common European Framework of Reference’s English Certificate);
  • ISEP’s Language Proficiency Report (accepted for students from ISEP-Exchange programs);

Please note that IELTS &TOEFL test results are valid for 2 years.

Is it compulsory to attend classes regularly when I attend an exchange semester at IU?

In the event that absence occurs more than 20% of semester duration, the student will be prohibited from taking final examination (score of zero (0) will be recorded).
On the examination date, the student who is late from 15 minutes onwards will not be allowed to enter the test/examination room and the score of zero (0) will be recorded.

Will there be any scholarships?

Yes, there are a selected number of programs that offer students with scholarship. However, it might vary each academic year. Please contact Program Coordinator for more information.

How can I add/drop courses for my exchange semester?

Please follow the Guideline For Registration Of Subjects/Courses

Log in Edusoft web: is required.

How many credits do I need to register at IU?

All Exchange and Study Abroad students must be enrolled in a minimum course load of 14 credit points (approximate 5 courses) and no more than 24 credit points (approximate 8 courses) per semester (each credit is equivalent to approximately 15 class hours and 2 self-study hours).

Should I buy medical insurance before coming to Vietnam?

Medical insurance is important to protect students from expensive treatments in case of diseases and accidents during their time in Vietnam.

Students are responsible for obtaining and purchasing medical insurance which covers medical and health services the whole time they stay in Vietnam. It is advisable that exchange students contact insurance companies in their own countries to buy a health insurance before the departure.

Should I buy travel insurance for my trips?

Students should consider purchasing travel insurance to avoid lost or damage of their property/luggage if they plan to travel within or outside Vietnam.

For abroad travelling, please contact the insurance agency to switch your insurance to international basis, and to ensure it will be valid while students are overseas.

How can I receive my transcript after finishing the exchange semester at IU?

Your transcript will be issued by IU and mailed directly to your Home institution. You can check the electronic transcript by logging your Edusoft account.

Can I register both undergraduate and graduate subject as requested by me Home Institution when enrolling in the exchange program at IU?

You can take undergraduate and graduate subjects as long as they fit your study plan.